ABI CellML Meeting Minutes, 5th October 2011
Present: Dougal Cowan, Alan Garny, David "Andre" Nickerson, Randall Britten, Andrew Miller, Tommy Yu
Apologies: Poul Nielsen
Last week's action items:
Action item 1: Dougal - email the list of nominees to start discussion on duration of election.
- Done. The election will conclude on Friday 7th October.
This week's agenda:
1) CellML website front page
- Randall: a news item for PMR2 0.4 is required.
Action item 1: Tommy - announce PMR2 0.4, then Dougal to put up the news item.
2) CellML API - update
- Andrew: planned to refactor how Python code works, using a generics interface.
- There was a discussion about this new generics approach to language bindings.
- Andrew: have been looking through comments on the API documentation. Some of these were due to documentation not being uploaded yet, or broken renderings.
- Andre: this should be discussed on the mailing list, as it is a fairly major change.
- Alan: it seems that the Python bindings are not Python-like, and hard to use. C++ bindings are very cumbersome to use.
- There was a discussion about C++ bindings, options for improving language bindings, etc. Options include changing to SWIG or Thrift, or re-implementing the API for each language.
- Randall: maybe we should look at working on better more native C++ bindings to ease OpenCOR developement.
3) CellML core specs - update
- No update.
4) PMR2) development - update
- Tommy: 0.4 was released on Monday night. Some minor refactoring, and work to get the certificates up and working. There are some problems with the certificates due to Red Hat version.
- Tommy: trying to get more familiar with the CellML API.
- Alan: OpenCOR now has support for JSON, and the repository plugin can get a list of models, extract the name and URI, etc. The REST/JSON approach seems to work well for providing webservices.
- Randall: we need to look at scoping PMR2 0.5.
Action item 2: Dougal - add PMR2 planning item to next meeting agenda.
- There was a discussion about PMR2 in context of the ABI software integration project.
- There was an extensive discussion about the focus of PMR2 development for 0.5
- There was a discussion about future directions for SED-ML support, OpenCell session files, exposures etc, both in OpenCOR and PMR2.
- There was a very extensive discussion about OpenCOR and PMR2 features for displaying, simulating, exploring, editing, and annotating models.
5) Repository contributions - update
- No update.